We started out class...with a quiz on Dante background! So if you were not in class today, see Ms. Smith to make this up.
Next, we found out what the homework is for this long three-day weekend:
- work on the last lecture part 1 (due 2/10)…don’t wait until the last minute to do this…
- summary response for the end of the hell unit, based on the videos, songs, and photos that we look at in class (due next Friday, 1/20)
Then we began watching the videos depicting Satan and hell:
First was Legend, by Ridley Scott:
- hell is shown to be a dark and fire-filled place
- the creatures that remain there are covered in warts, and gross-appearing
- “only your goodness can exist in one place, innocence”
- Satan depicted as very violent, as he is still attempting to take the life of others surrounding him. He has very bright red colored skin, and is enormous in size
Second was a Southpark episode “Hell on Earth”:
- Much more comedic interpretation of Satan, he seems not quite so strong (emotionally), yet still has control over his people
- Hell is not quite as dark of a place in this interpretation, and people do not seem to be as miserable
- At the end of this episode Satan admits to some wrong-doing, but then reverts back to his "old ways" of controlling the people
After watching the two videos we began listening to a few songs, and identifying the parts of them that related to our unit of studying hell:
- Sympathy for the Devil
- Flogging Molly
The lyrics for both of these songs can be found on Ms. Smith's AHS webpage.
And that wraps it up for today. I hope everyone has a nice three day long weekend!